This week Pantone released the latest edition of our flagship color inspiration and matching system, the PANTONE PLUS SERIES for graphics and multimedia, for designing and managing color in graphics, packaging, web, video, animation and other applications.
The PANTONE PLUS SERIES is the contemporary version of the PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM® which was first introduced in 1963 to enable designers to communicate color choices to printers, and to provide printers a system for consistently reproducing colors accurately and efficiently.
The first PANTONE Product – the original FORMULA GUIDE – was called the Printers’ Edition and featured 500 Solid (or Spot) colors for offset printers.
What’s new for 2014? 84 NEW COLORS
Here at Pantone, we are as much about color inspiration as we are about color communication. We watch and anticipate color trends carefully, and we continually engage in color discussions with our design community to help us plan our palette extensions.
This year we decided to fill out the Solid color range with 84 beautiful new Blushes and Pinks, and clean and vibrant new Blues, Greens and Violets. The new colors are all high-trending shades, giving designers more market-relevant creative options and a competitive edge in their work.
ARTIST EDITION COVERS
As part of our engagement with our design community, we also began a new program this year, Artist Edition Covers, in which we select artwork from PANTONE Canvas (our free, online portfolio sharing network powered by Behance) and feature that work on selected product covers.
For 2014, PANTONE FORMULA GUIDE and PANTONE SOLID CHIPS feature covers showcasing works of art from designer Tímea Andorka. Her selected project is entitled Optics/Chromatics.
PANTONE COLOR BRIDGE® Coated and Uncoated feature Artist Edition covers inspired by designer Yo Az; each guide will feature one image from his vibrant and illustrative project entitled Rainbow.
We’ll be posting interviews with these two exciting artists in the coming weeks!
Here is the new PANTONE PLUS SERIES lineup for 2014
Our flagship guide, containing 1,755 Solid colors, chromatically arranged on coated and uncoated stocks. See a video of this product.
All 1,755 Solid colors in a convenient chip format that attaches to artwork and digital files for easy and consistent color communication.
A must-have, multipurpose guide Color Bridge provides equivalents of PANTONE Solid colors for use in four-color process work, or to create optimal display of PANTONE Colors on monitors and HTML web pages.
Ideal for students or anyone new to design, the Starter Guide selections from all PANTONE PLUS SERIES Color libraries.
154 cool Pastels and 56 hot Neon colors, in Fan Guide and Chips formats.
301 refined, deep-luster metallic colors, in Fan Guide and Chips formats.
300 dazzling, coatable metallic colors, in Fan Guide and Chips formats.
2,868 additional process-only colors for color visualization, communication and control of type, logos, borders, backgrounds and other graphics treatments.
Eds. note: The author is a color specialist and Pantone’s Graphics product manager.
- 01/12 Theo Chocolate Creates Limited Edition Bar to Commemorate the Pantone Color of the Year 2015 Marsala
- 05/11 23 Years of Color, Love and Pantone: A Mother’s Day Tribute
- 03/24 Artist Edition Covers Now on PANTONE PLUS Products
- 03/18 Updating a classic: Pantone Reboots PLUS SERIES
- 03/07 Pantone Launches “Make It Brilliant”
- 12/17 PANTONE UNIVERSE Colorwear Debuts Color of the Year 2015 Marsala Collection at Art Basel Miami
- 11/05 Pantone’s Fashion Color Report Fall 2014 Bears Fruit at Retail
- 09/24 Bringing Fashion to the People: Le Suite Boutique
- 09/18 Nuprimary: New York City Textile Studio Wins Pantone’s Make it Brilliant℠ Instagram Contest
- 08/25 Fashion Illustrator Marina Gomes Speaks about Winning Pantone’s Make it Brilliant℠ Instagram Contest
- 10/07 The Pantone Color Institute Helps ‘HeForShe’ Select PANTONE 18-1945 Bright Rose as the Perfect Color for Their New Campaign
- 04/29 BK’s Finest
- 01/22 Triumph: 20 Years of The Wu-Tang Clan
- 11/15 Daytripping with Jason Woodside
- 10/11 “Soiled” – Punk Rock, Archaeology, and the Munsell Soil Color Book