On Thursday, December 5th, Pantone revealed the Color of the Year for 2014: PANTONE 18-3224 Radiant Orchid, a captivating, magical, enigmatic purple.
The much-anticipated release generated global headlines almost instantly, and news stories in print, blogs and broadcast continue to sprout up like… well, like orchids!
Below is a roundup of some of the major Radiant Orchid stories. Explore and be inspired. You can also visit the official PANTONE Radiant Orchid site here.
Wall Street Journal
Here we are again, color lovers. Another December, another Color of the Year announcement from the gurus at Pantone. For the first time in a few years, I feel like things are moving in a more unexpected, bold direction. If this 2014 pick is an indication of our colorful future, then I say, let’s go, bring it on!
The color purple would like to thank the global color authority Pantone for crowning it the color of the year for 2014. But it’s a color — Pantone 18-3224 Radiant Orchid, to be precise — so it can’t exactly talk. This blend of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones does, however, speak in murmurs of exoticism and enigma.
Read more and see a video: Chicago Tribune
Globe and Mail
Colour forecasting is part fashion savvy, part sociology and part crystal ball. Last year, that combination brought us emerald, a prediction that more or less was bang on, with bold jewel tones seemingly everywhere in home decor.
Read more: Globe and Mail
Winter may be quickly approaching, but consumers should take heart in a spring-like hue that will likely saturate everything from clothing lines to industrial items across the nation … Pantone described Radiant Orchid as a modern and ‘surprisingly versatile shade’ that can be worn by both men and women. It noted the color already made its way into makeup lines, on runways and in interior design products.
Read more: Today Style
Looking for a hot new hue to liven up the living room or add a splash of color in the bedroom? Pantone, which creates palettes for the home, fashion, and graphic-arts industries, has just named Radiant Orchard its 2014 Color of the Year, calling it a “captivating purple that draws you in with its beguiling charm.”
The new hue is being added to the Pantone Universe Paint Collection by Valspar, which is sold at Lowe’s.
Read more: Consumer Reports
- 01/12 Theo Chocolate Creates Limited Edition Bar to Commemorate the Pantone Color of the Year 2015 Marsala
- 05/11 23 Years of Color, Love and Pantone: A Mother’s Day Tribute
- 03/24 Artist Edition Covers Now on PANTONE PLUS Products
- 03/18 Updating a classic: Pantone Reboots PLUS SERIES
- 03/07 Pantone Launches “Make It Brilliant”
- 12/17 PANTONE UNIVERSE Colorwear Debuts Color of the Year 2015 Marsala Collection at Art Basel Miami
- 11/05 Pantone’s Fashion Color Report Fall 2014 Bears Fruit at Retail
- 09/24 Bringing Fashion to the People: Le Suite Boutique
- 09/18 Nuprimary: New York City Textile Studio Wins Pantone’s Make it Brilliant℠ Instagram Contest
- 08/25 Fashion Illustrator Marina Gomes Speaks about Winning Pantone’s Make it Brilliant℠ Instagram Contest
- 10/07 The Pantone Color Institute Helps ‘HeForShe’ Select PANTONE 18-1945 Bright Rose as the Perfect Color for Their New Campaign
- 04/29 BK’s Finest
- 01/22 Triumph: 20 Years of The Wu-Tang Clan
- 11/15 Daytripping with Jason Woodside
- 10/11 “Soiled” – Punk Rock, Archaeology, and the Munsell Soil Color Book